[linux-audio-dev] Problems with sb-live wave-tables and midi

Dave Phillips dlphilp at bright.net
Mon Aug 11 12:57:00 UTC 2003

paul wisehart wrote:

> I have this error that I don't know how to fix.
> I was using Craig Stuart Sapp's Midiio library to control
> the Emu10k1 wave-table synth.  It *was* working until I reinstalled
> my linux system.  I have put evrything back the way it was, and
> now I get these errors when I use the Midiio library:
>
> --
>
> ALSA lib rawmidi_hw.c:227:(snd_rawmidi_hw_open) open /dev/snd/midiC0D3 failed: No such device
> ALSA lib rawmidi_hw.c:227:(snd_rawmidi_hw_open) open /dev/snd/midiC0D4 failed: No such device
> ALSA lib rawmidi_hw.c:227:(snd_rawmidi_hw_open) open /dev/snd/midiC0D5 failed: No such device
> ALSA lib rawmidi_hw.c:227:(snd_rawmidi_hw_open) open /dev/snd/midiC0D6 failed: No such device
> ALSA lib rawmidi_hw.c:227:(snd_rawmidi_hw_open) open /dev/snd/midiC0D7 failed: No such device

Hi Paul:

  A few questions first:

    Did you run './snddevices' after installing the driver ? It
shouldn't be necessary anymore, but in case of problems run it anyway.
    What kind of code are you using with Craig's library ? An example
would help me understand what you want to do.
    Do you have a MIDI patch bay such as kaconnect or the ALSA MIDI
patch bay ? If so you can look at a graphic representation of your
card's MIDI ports.

> Whats the correlation between the /dev/snd/midi* devices and
> the alsa/Emu10k1 wavetable ports?

See below...

> //-------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> <wise at krsanky0~/sound_prg/midio> aconnect -o
> client 64: 'Rawmidi 0 - EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART)' [type=kernel]
>     0 'EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART)'
> client 65: 'Emu10k1 WaveTable' [type=kernel]
>     0 'Emu10k1 Port 0  '
>     1 'Emu10k1 Port 1  '
>     2 'Emu10k1 Port 2  '
>     3 'Emu10k1 Port 3  '
>
> //-------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> <wise at krsanky130~/sound_prg/midio> pmidi -l
>  Port     Client name                       Port name
>  64:0     Rawmidi 0 - EMU10K1 MPU-401 (U    EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART)
>  65:0     Emu10k1 WaveTable                 Emu10k1 Port 0
>  65:1     Emu10k1 WaveTable                 Emu10k1 Port 1
>  65:2     Emu10k1 WaveTable                 Emu10k1 Port 2
>  65:3     Emu10k1 WaveTable                 Emu10k1 Port 3

This command will connect the input device at your hardware MIDI port to
the EMU10k1 synth:

	aconnect 64:0 65:0

Try to see if it works on your system, then let me know.

Your question is really better suited for the Linux audio users group,
but feel free to email me directly. I also have the SBLive and can
hopefully help you through the trouble.

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

	The Linux Soundapps Site at http://linux-sound.org