[linux-audio-dev] PTAF link and comments

ian deviant at custard.org
Mon Feb 3 10:35:01 UTC 2003

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Steve Harris wrote:

> > 	* No mix output mode; only replace. More overhead...
>
> But how many hosts use mix? As a plugin author, having to implement both
> is a pain. I use code generation to make both functions.

Mix is very useful for hosts that are running a lot of plugins. Take for
example a modular soft synth. You can save a lot of memory by having
plugins mix into buffers rather than allocating an output buffer for each
plugin. It's not really that much effort to write a mix function as well
as a replace function when you compare it to the actual plugin development
time. I would be very sorry to see it go, as it would mean people would be
able to get less out of their hardware.
Ian