[linux-audio-dev] newest audio server for Linux (yep, yet another)

David Gerard Matthews dgm4+ at pitt.edu
Tue Feb 4 18:14:00 UTC 2003

Steve Harris wrote:

>On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 07:10:39 -0500, Taybin Rutkin wrote:
>

>>On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Abramo Bagnara wrote:
>>

>>>Despite that I strongly think that an audio server that not permit in
>>>native way the traditional approach (what you call blocking approach)
>>>will never achieve the driving role we'd need.
>>>

>>Well, given that Ardour, amsynth, alsaplayer, and freqtweak all use jack,
>>I'm pretty happy with how it is.  It doesn't need to gain any more
>>applications to be considered a success as far as I'm concerned.
>>

>I'd say that AMS, SSM, pd and ecasound mark it as a success :)

Agreed.  Different apps have different needs.  Jack is probably serious
overkill
for a lot of simple audio playback needs, but something like MAS [isn't
that also
the name of MOTU's plugin API?] is obviously not serviceable for
pro-quality
work.  I agree though that a MAS backend for JACK might be a good thing.
-dgm