[linux-audio-dev] PTAF link and comments

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Sat Feb 8 18:10:00 UTC 2003

On Saturday 08 February 2003 20.52, Tim Hockin wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 07:41:43 +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> > > As a matter of fact, if you just loop the output back to the
> > > input, the "LEARN" switch is all you need. Whenever you flip
> > > the switch to "off" the new data would be send back to the
> > > input. When you save a preset, the host would see the
> > > connection of the input and go look for the current value -
> > > which it finds on that output.
> >
> > This is starting to sound like a really nasty hack.
>
> I'm starting to agree.  I really dislike the idea that the host has
> to read a plugin's output control to get extra stuff for a preset.

This is not an exception. It has to do something like that all the
time, since inputs are not readable. Has everyone forgotten that?

> If there really is extra stuff, let's do it properly.

Which means...?

> I'm not sure
> yet that there is a need for it, so let's just back-burner it?

Well, yeah. I don't see that it needs any explicit support at all,
except for raw data controls, which will be needed for useful
interfacing with custom GUIs anyway.