[linux-audio-dev] RE: [Jackit-devel] Re: k_jack v0.0.0.5

Josh Green jgreen at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jan 22 18:39:00 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-22 at 10:51, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Thanks Fernando. I hadn't seen that, and it makes me feel better to know
> it's just a standard design problem.
>
> I'll still put Jack in the console, I think, to keep it off my desktop, and
> just look there occasionally to see how things have been going.
>
> Actually, can I somehow take the jackstart output that goes to the F2
> console and pipe it to a file that I could look at from KDE? That would be
> nice too.

I think in this type of situation the "screen" utility could come in
handy. You can run a program like "screen jackstart" or whatever from a
virtual terminal and then do a "CTRL-A D" to detach from it (it is still
running) and then in an X terminal you can do a "screen -r" at any time
to re-attach to the running program. I'm not sure how to do this between
different users so you will probably need to su to root in your X
terminal (if you are running the application as root) before this will
work (or perhaps there is a way to grab screen sessions from other
users, after entering a password or something, donno). Cheers.
	Josh Green