[linux-audio-dev] Splitsheet

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Tue Jun 15 15:07:36 UTC 2004

Hi!

While thinking about structure/organization for LDrum,
I developed a concept for the gui of a modular system.

http://wrstud.urz.uni-wuppertal.de/~ka0394/forum/04-06-15_splitsheet_01.png

All happens in one window, with blocks that represent
modules. These modules can be input filters (filtering
channels, notes, velocity ranges), oscilators, sound
filters, amp and everything else known from modular
systems.

The type of module for a block is determined by a
dropdown menu. Other content are the type specific
controls.

Each block can be split up horizontaly or verticaly
to create new blocks (see mockup for a horizontal
split). Splitting could be offered in conetx menu
or through dedicated buttons.

Signal flow starts at the top and goes through
top and bottom edges of blocks (no sideway signal
flow). Splitting up and mixing happens automaticaly.

Of course moduletypes could not be selected freely,
because input filters would have to be chained
directly, and could not be placed behind oscilators
and the like.

The system would make it easy to build rather simple
chains of modules quite fast. noterange filters would
allow to split things up using multiple samples or
varying synthesis setups and join it back together
at any stage.

Alternatively to the block splitting, modules
could be layed out on a canvas/grid. But that would
require means to resize modules to form various
relations. In short I think it would require
more interaction for similar results.

So this is a rough idea, free to be picked up. If
there's real interest (a chance of implementation),
it would be my pleasure to further develop it in
cooperation.

---
Thorsten Wilms