[linux-audio-dev] aeolus surround

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Thu May 13 15:39:27 UTC 2004

Alfons Adriaensen wrote on Thu, 13-May-2004:

 > On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 11:06:11AM -0400, Jesse Chappell wrote:
 >
 > > When you set the channel count >2 do the output channels have
 > > a specific spatial positioning defined?  Or would it make more
 > > sense to output B-format and run it through one of the Ambisonics
 > > plugins to get a specific speaker layout?
 >
 > -B gives you ambisoncs B-format out (W,X,Y,Z). I'm not so sure about
 > the ambisonics plugins, some that I tested (long ago) did not give the
 > correct outputs.
 >
 > -C 2 is for a square layout LF, RF, LB, RB
 > -C 4 is for a cube layout bottom square (as above) followed by top square.

I assume you meant 4 and 8 respectively.  What about 3?

Incidentally, I notice that in 0.1.0 that when you specify values 5-7 it segfaults,
and 8 causes jackd to hang up entirely on my system.

I tried the quad layout last night and it sounded good, how have
you defined the spatial sense of the surround outputs?  Where
do you place the virtual listener, and are the rear channels providing
mostly non-direct generated from the reverb?  Is more of the direct sound
in front of the listener?  It was hard to tell in my smallish
room.

jlc