[linux-audio-dev] LADSPA proposal ...

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri May 14 16:01:01 UTC 2004

>I don't mind *IFF* the metadata file has a simple, human readable
>syntax (no XML please) that can be parsed line by line.

no XML, and yes, parsable line by line, and yes, human readable. *but*
the plan should be to use the supplied library to get and set
values. nobody should be doing it themselves otherwise we end up with
an almighty mess.

>Another solution is to use the xrm format, and then you get the library
>for free - it's part of X11 client library but independent of the graphical
>part of X.

yes, its a nice model for sure, but LADSPA needs to work without
linkage to X. there are people who use LADSPA plugins on systems where
X is not installed.

>Another point. I've defended the adoption of simple integer enumerations
>(corresponding to a C switch) using the argument that it is the single
>missing essential feature in the port information.

I just found another: side-chain and/or modulation inputs. Its not
possible to distinguish the current purpose of audio input ports, and
this is important for several interesting classes of plugins (anything
that modulates operations on one signal with another signal). This
would require Yet Another Hint.

--p