[linux-audio-dev] qjackctl port list

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Sat Oct 9 21:03:11 UTC 2004

Florian Schmidt wrote:
> Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>
>> > what order? afaik there's no guarantee made by jackd to present lists
>> > of client ports in a particular order.
>>
>> Are you sure about this ? How then are apps like qjackctl supposed to
>> list them in any logical order ? Alphabetical sorting will work in
>> some cases, but produce horrible results in others.

Qjackctl uses a custom sorting method, something like "natural order" you
find in some database systems. In summary, it's plain alphabetic order,
but numbers are sorted in decimal numerical order (e.g "a10" comes after
"a2", when in ascending order).

This has been a fixed'n'old feature on qjackctl's connection port list,
ever since, and has been like that exactly by user request. You can check
the suggested convenience from this ordering scheme when looking to
ardour's port list, specially when you take it to real use and have plenty
of tracks/busses ;)

Florian's suggestion makes sense, of naming the ports like something in
the lines of:

out_1L
out_1R
out_2L
out_2R

at least to me. Now only if a client author's would find it appropriate ;)

Take care,
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc at rncbc.org