[linux-audio-dev] Aureal souncard

Jens M Andreasen jens.andreasen at chello.se
Wed Feb 9 16:23:36 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 15:49 -0600, Ryan Underwood wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 12:13:37AM +0100, Jens M Andreasen wrote:
> > Hi!
> >

> > I Noticed that the Aureal drivers are now in Alsa. I used to be an early
> > adopter (with bad experience ...)
> >

> > Anybody around here care to share some modern succes stories?
>
> They work fine now and have equalizer support, 4-speaker stereo, etc.
> The biggest remaining problem is latency spikes and poor performance
> with JACK.

A few days ago I discovered a computer in our garbage-room with a hand
written sign on it: "Works!!"

Uhmm OK, so I carried it up to see what it was, and indeed I have now
upgraded to a PIII class 1.1 Ghz computer :)

There is a build in soundcard (RealTek ALC200), but midi appeared not to
be implemented on that card, so  ...

I digged out the Aureal (Analog Devices AD1819) and hoped for the best.
And really, it works like a charm for my purposes. Lowest latency ever.

After some experimentation I came up with 48 Khz samplerate and 2 blocks
of 128 bytes each (2 × 32 × 16bit stereosamples). I also adjusted my
synth (Mx41) to check midi every 32 samples.

I get that to be a latency of 1.33 ms, which is as fast or faster than I
can get the plastics on my keyboard to hit the bottom (without breaking
them.)

This is with the au8820 module from Mdk.10.1 Community
Haven't experienced any latency spikes yet while running 48 voices.
(80% idle)
I am not reading anything from /dev/dsp
Jack still untested

Anybody in need of a perfectly working SoundBlaster 16 ISA card ??
--

   (
    )