[linux-audio-dev] Gamepad as midi controller?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Jul 28 10:13:46 UTC 2005

Hallo,
Steve Harris hat gesagt: // Steve Harris wrote:

> Frank B. (I think it was him anyway) uses a playstation controller
> via a USB adaptor, I've tried it as well, and its a pretty good
> controler, very ergonomic, though not much precision.

Yes, it's pretty fun to use gamepads for doing music. You get a lot of
buttons at your fingertips, the PSX-pad has 8 regular buttons plus 4
which are a bit out of reach. Great to switch between presets or
patterns and it also even is possible to play little melodies or
even chords with it.

The two sticks let you control two x/y-planes, great for example to
play with resonance and cutoff frequency of a filter.

I use HID devices with Pd, which supports joysticks on all OSses, and
more general HID devices on OS-X and Linux thanks to Hans-Christoph
Steiner's [hid] objects:

http://at.or.at/hans/research.html
http://at.or.at/hans/pd/hid.html

Once you have the HID input data in Pd you can convert it to
everything including Midi and OSC.

Ciao

          _ __latest track: "plak" @ http://footils.org/cms/show/44