[linux-audio-dev] Latency and feedback problems: soundcard with live microphone pass-thru, optimal solution ?

James Courtier-Dutton James at superbug.co.uk
Sat Oct 29 17:43:05 UTC 2005

Benno Senoner wrote:
> Hi all,
> I would like to route a microphone through a sound card and back to
> powerful amplified speakers.
>
> As we know in analog PA gear you have the microphone feedback problem
> (usually it comes in form
> of high pitched whistle sounds).

This problem is common as you know, and it has been solved a long time
ago. The solution is to do a slight frequency shift to the audio.
Small frequency shifts are not noticeable to the listener, and that it
what is used at all those loud pop concerts.

So, use ardour and do a simple real time sound capture, add a frequency
shifter plugin, and then play it out all in real time.

Another application of feedback suppression is satellites where the
forward uplink frequency is slightly different from the forward downlink
frequency.

James