[linux-audio-dev] Setting the Beat of a Clock

fons adriaensen fons.adriaensen at skynet.be
Sun Sep 25 20:19:18 UTC 2005

On Sun, Sep 25, 2005 at 11:14:31AM -0300, Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer wrote:

> Very interesting project. What about using some external signal
> generator? As you need only one signal, I think there must be something
> accurate enough for doing this (I mean, not a multi-frecuency signal
> generator). Perhaps a professional tunner? I've heard that some of them
> have compensation for temperature, for example.

If by 'tunner' you mean the sort of thing used by radio builders to tune
their stuff, that will not do. These things need frequent recalibration.

But for a few tens of dollars you could get an potted 1MHz xtal oscillator
that you would need to recalibrate maybe once a year just to be sure.
Divide the frequency by some easy factor, say 256, to get into the audio
range and you're done. A temperature compensated version would be a bit
more expensive. I'll put the question to the hardware engineers in my
design team tomorrom, and probably I can come up with some concrete
examples.

--
FA