[linux-audio-dev] Todays changes to "LADSPA2" strawman

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Apr 29 17:25:20 UTC 2006

On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 12:42:14PM -0400, Dave Robillard wrote:
> > With the port types specified in the RDF file, MIDI input should be
> > doable with explicit LADSPA2 ports of some defined MIDI type, which
> > means that we wouldn't need the run_synth() callback. The GUI
> > specification and the OSC protocol is already pretty much applicable to
> > LADSPA as well as DSSI, so that should work in LADSPA2 too. New
> > additions like MIDI output and transport info could also be done as port
> > types.
> >
> > The things that aren't obvious how to do are
> >
> >  1) the configure() callback
>
> OSC message.

Thats a little laconic, even by my standards :) To my mind the key thing
about configure() is that it happens outside the RT context, and
LADSPA-style plugins have no easy way of running an OSC server of thier
own.

> >  2) the dynamic program lists and midi mappings (static definitions
> >     could be written in the RDF file, but that's no fun)
>
> That's a tougher one.

Control port :|

> >  3) program selection
>
> OSC message.

Or typed control port.

> >  4) the run_multiple*() callbacks (how many plugins use these?)
>
> Silly useless function.  Toss it on the trash heap with run_adding.

I'll have take your word for that. It's an optimisation from what I
remember, and I think Fon's suggestion of shared control ports between
voices is both a better saving and conceptualy simpler.

- Steve