[linux-audio-dev] Launching DSSI GUIs via OSC?

mlang mlang at delysid.org
Tue Jan 31 11:10:55 UTC 2006

Hi.

Is there anything planned for the DSSI standard which would allow
DSSI hosts to launch GUIs just by sending a OSC message to some kind
of GUI launcher?  I am asking because I'd like to write a whysynth
frontend in SuperCollider Language.  That should be all doable, since
the whole GUI->DSP->GUI process happens over OSC.  Now there is
only the session initiation left.  I know its pretty trivial to
write a wrapper WhySynth_osc which just sends off its argv to
SCLang via OSC, but this feels kind of clumsy to me.

In fact, for what I'd like to do, it would be quite pretty if jack-dssi-host
just had an additional command-line argument which would tell its startGUI
routine not to call exec, rather send the 4 strings to the specified
osc url.

$ jack-dssi-host -o osc.udp://localhost:57110/dssRequestedI/ whysynth.so

How does this sound to you, worth a patch?

Or should this really be done with wrappers, ugly as they may be?
--
CYa,
  Mario