[LAD] joining the fun...

Pieter Palmers pieterp at joow.be
Fri Aug 22 12:46:42 UTC 2008

Joern Nettingsmeier wrote:
> hi guys.
>
> Pieter Palmers wrote:
>>  I'm sorry, but the following statement:
>>
>> "Here’s a few vids of the mighty power of hydrogen explosions. Not an
>> endorsement of nuclear power but just a reference for anyone who is
>> doubting the energy contained in Hydrogen."
>>
>> is ridiculous. It's not because that type of atomic bomb is called a
>> "hydrogen bomb" that it has anything to do with hydrogen as a power
>> source. The former is about splitting the hydrogen atom itself, the
>> latter is about splitting the bonds a hydrogen atom has with other
>> atoms.
>
> for the record, there is not much to split in a hydrogen atom (generally
> it's just one proton, very rarely accompanied by one or two neutrons).
> the principle behind the h bomb is fusion of hydrogen into heavier
> elements, where the "activation energy" (i hope the term is applicable
> here) comes from a previous nuclear fission explosion.
/me crawls in a corner and hides full of shame. Of course the H-bomb is
fusion. small atoms -> fusion. large atoms (plutonium) -> fission.
Sometimes it's better to shut up.

In any case, my error doesn't invalidate my point. I hope they are not
experimenting with fusion nor fission in their backyard.

Greets,

Pieter