[LAD] basic in-game audio synthesis api?

Stephen Sinclair radarsat1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 15:40:01 UTC 2009

What about using an external program like Pd or ChucK to design your
sounds, and just talk to the sound engine using OSC?

(Hm, yes this does seem like my answer for everything these days...)

Anyways, you can run a Pd patch for example without the GUI, or a lot
of the effects you mention are built into ChucK or SuperCollider as
well.  I find it nice to be able to separate this stuff out of a
program and have it running in another process, particularly if it's
going to conflict with a game loop, and allows you to design nice
audio routines without worrying about headache-inducing system-level
technical details.

The main disadvantage of course is having to distribute source files
for the audio that aren't compiled into the main executable.  Not sure
if that's really a disadvantage though, it depends on your intentions.
 (For instances many games have tons of extra data files anyways.)

Another idea: if you really want to do this in C, and already using
SDL to deal with sound output, but are still looking for a
higher-level solution, you could use FAUST to generate C++ code which
is actually not too hard to convert to C.  (FAUST mostly just
generates a single C++ class with a single audio routine that
manipulates some arrays and floating-point numbers.)

Steve