[LAD] [OT] gdm setup in F10

Luis Garrido luisgarrido at users.sourceforge.net
Sat May 2 11:19:24 UTC 2009

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 2:22 AM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
> Just installed Fedora 10. It comes with Gnome as the
> default desktop of course. Previous versions of gdm

> forget about Linux and use Windows. Is there any Linux
> distro left that does not depend on all the *Kit crap ?

For what is worth, the procedure I usually follow is: I download the
netinstall FC ISO and customize the default package selection
unchecking everything. This leaves me with a barebones console-only
installation and I built up from there. Then you can install gdm, x11
and the wm of your choice. It doesn't require much hackery, just the
knowledge of the packages you need.

That said, perhaps that's too tinkery for you. Another option is
giving a try to XFCE. That's what I use since I find it gives me an
adequate balance between features and performance. There is a
ready-made XFCE spin of FC10 that you could try.

http://spins.fedoraproject.org/

HTH,