[LAD] Presenting volume control sliders

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu May 21 22:08:32 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 03:55:53PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
>
>> in addition to chris' suggestion, there is ardour's rather arbitrary
>> but definitely comfortable mapping.
>
> How comfortable it is depends on what the fader is
> used for. I've often wanted more gain than the
> available +6dB, and somewhat less 'compression' at
> the bottom end.

this is not really a function of the fader directly, but of an
arbitrary decision to have a static range of -inf to +6dB of applied
gain. any such decision will be arbitrary - however, it being software
it would be nice to be able to pick the range.

> But what is really confusing is that the fader and
> meter scales are different, while they are side by
> side - it's quite easy to think that the meter's
> scale ticks apply to the fader as well.

i don't see any solution to this. AFAIK the specs for various standard
meters and for various standard faders do not use the same scale. any
time you put them side-by-side, there seems to be potential for
confusion. ardour isn't use standards for either, but the same issue
applies. if you have ideas i'm all ears (but no minutes to code it at
present).