[LAD] Presenting volume control sliders

Reuben Martin reuben.m at gmail.com
Sun May 24 02:54:25 UTC 2009

Check it, yo!: Fons Adriaensen was sayin:
> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 07:37:31PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> > On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 7:26 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at kokkinizita.net>
wrote:
> > > What Ardour is lacking is sort of 'monitoring' window,
> > > a place where you can select in a convenient way what
> > > you hear, and how.
> >
> > hear where? master outs? a listen bus? control outs bus? some other
> > bus(ses)? direct outs? there's no simple definition of "what you
> > hear".  there might be N listeners at one time. whose monitoring is
> > being affected?
>
> By 'monitoring' here I mean the main studio monitors.
> You should be able to listen to various things (including
> monitor sends for musicians), and switch between them
> easily and without interrupting the normal program flow.
> Setting this up in a convenient way is currently near
> impossible in Ardour. And if you emulate it using a lot
> of extra strips etc. there is no visual hint of a 'safe'
> area where whatever you do will never hurt the 'main'
> outputs, and so you end up having to think twice before
> pushing any button.
>
> Have a look at what is provided in this area by some
> 'real' mixers, and ask the people who use them why
> these things are what they are, and rather essential.
>
> Ciao,

I find it very useful on the digital mixers (at least on ones like MC7L or
PM5D) where you can select a bus and the faders move to show the levels for
each channel being sent to the bus. This is often much more important than the
meter bridges, which only display the input levels off the head amps.

Perhaps you could have it set, either in the channels window or on a separate
meterbridge, where you can select a bus, and get a metering of each channel
reflecting the post send levels being sent to that bus. (This might be tough
given you can route buses to other buses)

I think in mixing that information is more important to me (especially for
live recording) than what standard scale is being used for the meters.

Personally, the meter standard being used doesn't mean much till I start
getting into mastering.

-Reuben