[LAD] [ANN] invada-studio-plugins-lv2-1.0.0

Nedko Arnaudov nedko at arnaudov.name
Sun May 31 11:07:00 UTC 2009

Chris Cannam <cannam at all-day-breakfast.com> writes:

> On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 11:36 AM, Nedko Arnaudov <nedko at arnaudov.name> wrote:
>> Invada plugins don't have external UI. If you are going to add LV2
>> support to Rosegarden I'll add external UI support to Invada.
>> I promise.
>
> That is a worthy promise; thank you.  But what are the chances of new
> plugin developers being prepared to do that extra work themselves, as
> a general matter?
>
> (I realise that's a rhetorical question, or at least one you can't be
> expected to have the answer to.  Fraser might have some thoughts,
> perhaps?)

If they are prepared to do DSSI like stuff (the only alternative we have
ATM), they can reuse the DSSI-like universal "wrapper". The code needs
only two defines, UI_EXECUTABLE and UI_URI.

If they are not, then maybe they are looking for in-process UI extension
that is toolkit independent. I have idea about cairo UI extension but it
will require abstracting mouse and keyboard events. Also it will force
plugin authors to use some kind of [custom] widget toolkit based on
cairo.

--
Nedko Arnaudov <GnuPG KeyID: DE1716B0>