[LAD] hard realtime performance synth

Jens M Andreasen jens.andreasen at comhem.se
Sun Jan 24 13:26:46 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-01-23 at 17:32 -0500, David McClanahan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Where to start? I have a Dell 7000 laptop and I'm wondering if it can
> be a music synthesizer(something like a Minimoog). If not, why not?

If your Dell is what I think it is:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pcyc/specs.htm

.. then you are severely underpowered compared to equipment from this
millenium. Using as a starting point something that specifically targets
processores from the Pentium II ages - using MMX rather than SSE - could
be an advantage:

http://web.comhem.se/luna/

[And yes, RT kernel etc is an imperative, as others have already pointed
out]