[LAD] Mouse/knob interaction

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Wed Sep 8 08:35:56 UTC 2010

Excerpts from Arnold Krille's message of 2010-09-08 00:01:30 +0200:
> On Tuesday 07 September 2010 20:20:10 Gordon JC Pearce wrote:
> > This is going to stir up a bit of discussion!
> >
> > Rotary knob GUI elements - should you move the mouse in a circle to
> > operate them, or up and down?  What about side to side?
>
> rotary-movement: Fire up paint. Try to draw 5 perfect quarter circles. And
> then ditch that idea completely and forever. The only special cases where
> rotary movement works is multi-touch screens or in a limited why when your
> "mouse" is a track-ball.
>
> Make it look like a rotary, make it usable like a slider (that is up/down
> _or_ left/right movement).
>
> And if you really need to save space: Use it like a slider, paint it as a
> color-field with the value as number and color...
>
> Have fun,
>
> Arnold

That's actually a neat idea, color for immediate visual feedback. I
imagine the problem is the colors. What would be sane? I guess three
basic colors and interpolate between them?
low = blue
middle = yellow
high = top

It needs to be rather intuitive. I guess the more colors the less
intuitive it will become. Maybe two are enough.
I wonder which color would best represent 'low' or 'bottom'.
Blue, black?
--
Philipp

--
"Wir stehen selbst enttäuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu
und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan