[LAD] a treasure trove of information on "Physical Audio Signal Processing"

Stefano D'Angelo zanga.mail at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 14:49:38 UTC 2010

2010/9/27 Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey at boosthardware.com>:

> On Mon, September 27, 2010 7:03 am, Stefano D'Angelo wrote:

>>> Auguri & congratulations !
>>
>> Ti ringrazio :-)
>>
>>> The tube amp example is really nice - including the interaction
>>> with the speaker - all of it: electrical, mechanical and acoustic.
>>> This is also the first time I see both the impedance and mobility
>>> models explained in a graduation paper. The fact that the two
>>> exist is the source of *lots* of confusion - you did well to
>>> include this, even if it's just a detail in the whole paper.
>>
>> Well, since almost nobody is into this stuff at my home university I
>> thought it was a good idea to try to explain most things, even if not
>> in much detail (the whole thing was mostly prepared during my Erasmus
>> exchange programme in Helsinki, and there is a whole department
>> working on this stuff there).
>>
>>> A question: how many iterations does the tube model typically
>>> require to converge to the required precision ?
>>
>> I have to admit I don't know, I will check and let you know. ;-)
>>
>>> I hope you will continue to develop Permafrost, even without
>>> optimisation it would make a very nice simulation tool.
>>
>> Eh... it depends on what is going to happen now, whether I will find a
>> job or continue within the university and how much spare time I will
>> be able to have. Money, damn money!
>>
>> In the meanwhile I already restarted working on it and there is also a
>> friend of mine helping me (but he's a total beginner in "serious"
>> programming).. let's see what happens.
>>
>> BTW, if somebody can offer me a job or a PhD or anything to keep me
>> working on these things... :-)
>>

> You never know with this list. It might help if you say what kind of job
> would enable you to do that.

I guess whatever gives me enough money to decently survive working on
sound processing software, possibly on processing/synthesis/analysis
plugins and/or applications or physics-based/white-box systems'
simulation.

Maybe it could also be possible by doing something else that leaves me
enough free time to keep on working on this without starving, or maybe
some academic position (doctoral studies, research, I don't know
what).

It doesn't matter where, as long as it is not a dangerous place
(preferably Europe or Canada/USA).

I'm open to any offer BTW.

Stefano