[LAD] OT: Bitwig beta for Linux reviewed

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Mar 9 19:58:03 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-03-09 at 21:40 +0300, Louigi Verona wrote:
> LMMS can be used to make any type of music, I do not see anything in
> the software that limits it to either techno or just playing around. I
> have made several genres with it and people like those tunes and don't
> find them to be "just playing around". LMMS has got automation of any
> parameter, great piano roll. It's only serious problem is that it
> supports only LADSPA plugins and doing music without being able to add
> more sophisticated things like good reverb and other effects is
> uninspiring.

To make recordings such as your Dronings would be more work for me when
using software like LMMS, instead of software such as Qtractor and I
guess I'm not an exception.
They enforce a very unusual workflow. IMO there's a reason that
Rosegarden, Ardour, Qtractor, Cubase, Logic etc. pp. have another
design.

I'm still limited with IOs, because my RME card is bad supported by
Linux, but I already can loop in a reverb, so if it should be possible
to add external gear, I don't care about software reverbs. I only used
software reverbs, when I had no IOs to loop in a reverb.

It's possible to make "good" music with a spoon, but more pleasant to
play a grand piano instead of a spoon.

> I tried EnergyXT, I did not like it at all, very raw software, I am
> surprised anyone dares to ask money for it. However, to be fair, I
> tried the demo version only.

Until now I didn't test it myself, because I don't like demo versions.
Usually demo versions can't be used to make real "test" productions. I'm
not interested to install a hacked version and I only knew one person
living far away, who used it and perhaps still does use it.

Other proprietary software doesn't need demo versions, because many
people do use it, it's not hard to get a chance to test such software,
but energyXT isn't Pro Tools or Steinberg, so I expect a full version
for test purpose.

> Will Bitwig be released?

Resp. when will it be released and really provide all it's advantages
and how much will it be?

I guess that Ardour, Rosegarden, Qtrator and Muse are the workstations
that are interesting for me. When I was younger I made 24/7 music, today
I don't touch an instrument for month, so I'm not in a hurry. If I
should change my mind and become a musician again, I might use something
Microsoft based or no computer. While I prefer Qtractor and Ardour 2, I
don't exclude Ardour 3, Rosegarden and Muse, they are close to my needs
too.

Regards,
Ralf