[LAD] Mixing audio: Implementing pan and balance

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Mar 16 10:16:46 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-03-16 at 09:50 +0000, John Rigg wrote:
> ... check for phase errors ... on hardware mixing consoles ...

I'm doing it too. Mono compatibility seems to be less important for the
Linux community. If I take a look at screenshots for TotalMix, it does
provide a mono switch, never noticed that for hdspmixer :(.

I don't know how they handle it today, in the past German radio station
didn't play recordings with phase errors and they neither fixed it in
any way to play it.

My hardware mixing console doesn't provide a mono switch and since I
won't mis-adjust the pan pots I rout it mono by subgroups.

What I want to point out is, that using pan pots isn't good, since you
will switch between the wanted panning and mono. A mono switch is
needed.