[LAD] Experience driven design and Linux Audio

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Tue Sep 30 21:03:05 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 02:53:02PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:

> and now .... cars are almost all of a near-uniformly high quality, and that
> quality exceeds the levels attained even in 1970's era elite vehicles. you
> need to know almost nothing about them to use them (other than knowing how
> to drive). their reliability and longevity have improved dramatically, as
> have their safety qualities. maintainance is generally simple - regular oil
> and other fluid changes, less frequent tire replacements, occasional body
> work due to damage. oh, and much better fuel mileage too. of course, every
> single one of these improvements isn't the end of the road (no pun
> intended), and new engine and propulsion systems still offer huge new areas
> of potential improvement, along with self-driven cars for some situations.

I don't think that is a valid analogy. True, quality and ease of use
have gone up dramatically, but:

* that is mainly the result of fierce competition (and environmental
  regulations which have drive manufacturers towards high-tech solutions),
  while today's world of information technology and services revolves
  about a few de facto monopolies, lots of hype, and a complete absence
  of regulations.

* Cars have different features that fit various needs, and I guess
  most people select the car they will buy by considering the balance
  of features and cost. Which is an entirely different approach than
  buying the latest iphone because it is the latest iphone and even
  if you don't need it.

* Before cars became a commodity they were the toy and status symbol
  of the rich, not of 'car nerds' (although those exist as well).

* Nobody makes free (as in beer) cars.

* In most places, to be allowed to drive a car you don't need to
  RTFM but you need formal training and to pass an exam. More so
  if you drive something that's not your avarage family car or do
  it professionally. In other words, even if car drivers may not
  know much about the technology that makes their cars tick, they
  are not the typical 'dumb user'.

Ciao,

--
FA