[linux-audio-user] MDK sound-RPMs troubles / Sound in Slackware?

Rob lau at kudla.org
Tue Apr 1 22:44:00 EST 2003

On Tuesday 01 April 2003 12:19, Speaker to Vegetables wrote:
> Sorry, Austin, but in practice, installing an RPM intended for one
> distribution on another distribution, is not particularly likely to
> work. It may refuse to install unless you "force" it. It may install
> and destabilize your system. I find it much easier and safer to install
> from source tarballs than to install a "foreign" RPM. In theory an RPM

And I find it much easier and safer to find the source RPM to that foreign
RPM, try rpm --rebuild, and if that doesn't work, make the couple of lines of
necessary changes in the spec file and stick the resulting
now-Mandrake-specific RPM out on my website for anyone to use.  Then if it
turns out I don't want it anymore, I'm not stuck looking for needles in the
haystack that is my filesystem when I want to uninstall it, nor do I have to
worry about it stomping some other application's files as has been known to
happen.

I'm not ashamed of being a usability nazi.  I won't be satisfied until Linux
is easier to use for non-geeks and easier to manage in large quantities than
both Mac and Windows, and I'm doing what little I can to help that along.  I
don't think it's any coincidence that all these usable audio apps started
appearing once the Linux desktops started maturing, and I doubt the trend is
going to reverse.

Rob