[linux-audio-user] ALSA device sharing?

Ivica Bukvic ico at fuse.net
Mon Apr 14 10:43:00 EDT 2003

> On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 20:22:34 -0400, Ivica Bukvic wrote / a écrit:
>
> > jacklaunch <appname> <flags...etc>
>
> Hi
>
> I'm so confused here: I was believing jack needed alsa to work. So if
alsa
> is launched before, xmms and xine should run fine because they see and
use
> alsa/oss emulation.
> What am I missing here?

It does, but once the alsa is running, and jackd is running on top of
alsa, you can use jacklaunch hack to open up a new full-duplex
connection to jackd even with the apps that do not natively support
jack's framework (regardless whether it is oss or alsa, I think -- I've
tested it only with oss apps). This does cost you some latency, but is
still generally lightyears ahead of artsd, esd and other such stuff.

Hope this helps!

Ico