[linux-audio-user] Vocal removal?

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Sun Mar 23 12:09:00 EST 2003

On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 12:32:11PM +0700, Darren Landrum wrote:
> > The only way you can remove vocals from a stereo mix relies on the
> > assumption that the vocal is simply panned dead centre and preferably
> > that the backing components are all panned well to the left or right.
> > Then you can make a mono signal of L - R in which the the vocal
> > component is cancelled out and the remainder may or may not be
> > satisfactory to use as a backing.

it'll be mono, and more seriously it's likely to have very little bass,
as bass guitar and kick drums and the like are often panned close to
center.

you could work around that by, before summing the L and -R channels,
filtering out the low end from ONE of the channels.
kind of a kludge, but really this whole process is a kludge...

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I'm fairly familiar with the process, I was just wondering if there's a
> program out there that has this ability built-in.

any editor should do; if it has an "invert polarity" or (misnamed)
"invert phase" function, use that on one channel;
otherwise just amplify one channel by -1.  Then mix the two channels
into mono.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com