[linux-audio-user] That whole mp3 vs. ogg vs. wma vs. yomamma thing

Rick Taylor ricktaylor at speakeasy.net
Mon Oct 13 23:28:00 EDT 2003

Mark Knecht <markknecht at comcast.net> wrote:
>On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 18:40, Rick Taylor wrote:

>>  It's just that here most "real" electronica is constrained to academia or to
>> experimental/artsy categories ...None of which makes any money. {Actually,
>that> whole conceptual genre has fallen into real disfavor recently.}
>
>Well, amongst our happy family of Linux Audio Users right here on this
>list we have at least one very accomplished Electronica composer by the
>name of Natasha Barrett. I purchased one of her CDs (yes, it was
>actually available here in the US) and really dig it. I've listened to
>it at least a dozen times in the last 2 weeks. (Be forwarned, it is
>abstract in nature, but deliciously so...)
>
>Natasha - please forgive me if I should not refer to your work as
>'Electronica'. To my mind (and ear) it goes in that basic area, but I
>probably don't have the education to try and classify it any further.
>
>All I'll say is that at least this composer's work has not fallen into
>disfavor with me.

 Personally, I like "artsy" {My tastes tend towards non-newagey Tangerine Dream
{Mars Polaris, Tangram, Poland, the old stuff, the dance mixes, most of the new
stuff}, mid period Jarre, Zappa, Synthpop, Group 87, New Romantic, Krautrock,
Early Floyd, jazz crossover stuff like Groove Armada... the Haflers, noise and
most concrete. Most dance stuff and industrial just sort of bores me.} Is this
available online?

 Seen this place? http://www.newmusicjukebox.org/

>>  We have that whole rock/blues and jazz legacy to deal with as well {as
>opposed> to the watered down, imitative stuff that comes from that side of the
>pond.} The> American public has come to value things like depth and quality and
>a certain> "earthiness" that you just don't get with "Eurodisco."
>
>This statement in a week when the Top 10, for the first time in History,
>was completely comprised of all Black artists. Yes, our charts, and
>apparently our brethren, have gone a different direction.

 I'm not quite sure what this means.