[linux-audio-user] (non)conformity, was Re: That whole mp3 vs.ogg vs. wma vs. yomamma thing

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Wed Oct 15 20:15:42 EDT 2003

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 03:54:31PM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>    With all that in mind, how does one who's never done anything like this
> take the leap? What's the chance of getting an instrument that stacks up to
> the production stuff? I'd do it if I thought I could do something
> approaching the quality of an Alembic.

probably not likely on the first go-round.
However, assembling a bolt-on guitar from ready-made parts is within
the abilities of anybody who's built a PC :-)
Lots of sources, e.g. http://www.warmoth.com

But yes, DIY guitars are not particularly cheap. Economy of scale is the
big deal. Consider that a custom hand-made bass from a reputable builder
could easily cost you $3000 to $5000. I'm trying to keep
my project around $1300 and it's going to be tricky.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com