[linux-audio-user] Problems with Redhat 9(Shrike)

Stewart Felstead Stewart.Felstead at oracle.com
Fri Sep 12 06:46:01 EDT 2003

I’m attempting use the Shrike alsa rpm’s from fresh from to install alsa and it’s libs and utils.

My pc is and athlon xp2000+ with an onboard via82c686 and am having problems getting alsamixer to launch. I keep getting the error no such device. My .asoundrc looks like this

pcm.via82xx {
           type hw
           card 0
        }

        ctl.via82xx {
           type hw
           card 0
        }

my modules.conf has this in it

# OSS/Free portion - card #1
        alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
        alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
        alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
        alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
        alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
        alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

        # OSS/Free portion - card #2 (cmipci)
        alias sound-slot-1  snd-card-1
        alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
        alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
        alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss

I’m concerned that I need to disable the default Redhat sound stuff but have no as the system log shows errors trying to grab the port. But I have no idea how to do that. HELP!!!!!!!!!!! I’ve been struggling with this for weeks, and I’m getting pretty p$ssed off.

Rgds
Stew