[linux-audio-user] Sending and recieving data between computers using JACK

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Wed Aug 18 10:20:48 EDT 2004

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:13:21 +0300
Sampo Savolainen <v2 at iki.fi> wrote:
> There is no way of doing real-time processing over a network reliably.
> Dropouts and timeouts, packet retries are in the nature of computer
> networks. UDP is a very smart way to (try to) send realtime data through
> a network. If the implementation is at least average, that is the best
> performance you can get.

Along similar lines, a friend of mine had been working on some code
(unfortunately in a Windows environment, and in a programming language
that he developed himself(!) so the work's not available to me) to do
something I'd love to implement:  synchronized streaming.

I live in a house with 4 distinct areas, with network connected music
systems in each area.  When I have a party, I'd love to have each of
these machines tie into a stream from my audio server so that they're
in sync - that is, if I can hear 2 different systems at the same time,
I want them to be at the same place in the stream, not a second or two
off from each other.

Has anyone heard of anything under Linux that would do such a thing?
(It just occured to me that tapping into such a stream with a buffer of
size 0 may do it, though that could open me up to hearing every little
network burp encountered.  I'll have to try that tonight!)

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com