[linux-audio-user] Virtual Mixing Desk

Florian Schmidt mista.tapas at gmx.net
Sun Jul 18 08:06:45 EDT 2004

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 20:01:47 -0400
Lee Revell <rlrevell at joe-job.com> wrote:

> The consensus was that the mouse wheel is the only intuitive way to
> control a knob with a mouse.  The people who disagreed probably don't
> have a mouse wheel.

I have a mouse with a mousewheel and i don't agree. A mousewheel is not a continous controller and therefor has limits when using it for twidling knobs.  If the discrete steps are to wide, then large motions are easy on a knob, but fine tuning is impossible. If the discrete steps are fine enough for fine tuning, then large adjustments are time and mouse wheel consuming :). I suppose this problem can be tackled by either usage of modifier keys and/or non linear behaviour.. But to say that mousewheels are the consensus is imho far fetched...

Regards,
 Florian Schmidt

--
Palimm Palimm!