[linux-audio-user] [OT - Apostrophe]

Dave Phillips dlphilp at bright.net
Tue Jun 29 09:43:17 EDT 2004

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:

>Not that the OT needs to go on any longer, but monk is one of my all
>time favorite composers and performers. :-D If I were to start studying
>music again I think I would start with monk.

To push this thread a little towards on-topic: In the late 1980s I
transcribed hundreds of compositions by various composers to MIDI
sequences. It was great training for me, I worked from the written
music, so the work improved my reading skills tremendously, and it also
gave me much more intimate knowledge of what was going on inside the
music's composition. I urge all students to follow this way, it's quite
similar to Bach's practice of transcribing works by previous composers
in order to learn how it's done. Linux audio software such as MusE and
Rosegarden offer all the capability needed to carry out such a task,
anyone can do it.

And yes, I transcribed some pieces by Monk. IMO he was one of the
titans. Favorite Monk piece of the moment: Ruby My Dear. Favorite Monk
experience: Watching Buell Neidlinger's "buellgrass" group play an
evening of nothing but lesser-known Monk titles at McCabe's in LA, all
tunes played by a quartet that included fiddle, mandolin, guitar, and
string bass. And who can forget the Kronos Quartet's rendition of Round
Midnight ?

But the best is still Monk with Rollins, or with Coltrane, or just Monk
by himself...

Off-topically,

dp