[linux-audio-user] Python & ALSA --- documentation

Rob Fell robin.fell2 at ntlworld.com
Wed Aug 3 15:09:18 EDT 2005

Peter Brinkmann wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 23, 2005 at 01:49:04PM +0200, Leonard paniq Ritter wrote:
>
>>any chance you could break off the alsa midi part and make it a separate
>>package?
>
> Done. You can find it at
>     http://www.math.tu-berlin.de/~brinkman/software/pyseq/
> I've taken the opportunity to enhance the bindings ever so slightly and
> add a proper installation script, which should make it a little easier to
> get started.

Hi Peter

First - thanks: this is just what I needed to get me back to scratching
my itches!

I may be showing my Python naivety here, but I'm struggling to see how
to integrate the MIDI thread with other threads in a safe way.  I see
that the low-level bindings incorporate a time-out on the poll(), but
there's no callback that'd allow for polling Python Queues, and you
don't appear to release the GIL during the poll().

Am I going at this from the wrong direction, or would this be a useful
feature?

Thanks
Rob