[linux-audio-user] snd-mpu401 will not load in 2.6.12

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Sun Aug 21 13:02:03 EDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-21 at 08:29 -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:
> I read that 2.6.13 comes with Ingo Molnar's latency patches

Not exactly.  Like all kernel releases since the RT kernel project began
(2.6.8 or so), it contains some incremental fixes from the RT kernel,
but the main parts of the RT patch (IRQ threading, fully preemptible
kernel) aren't in 2.6.13.

> and better timing resolution.

Nope, WORSE timing resolution (by default).  The default timer interrupt
frequency has changed from 1000HZ to 250HZ which degrades the resolution
of sleep(), poll(), select() from 1ms to 4ms.

Linus has made it clear that he's not budging on this.  So make sure you
set CONFIG_HZ to 1000 or else 2.6.13 will make the jitter in your MIDI
sequencer's timer 4x worse.

>  Perhaps this is the OTB audio-ready kernel we've been waiting for ?

Well the kernel has been audio ready for several releases, it's just
userspace that needs to catch up.

I don't know why people are complaining about 2.6.12, works fine for me.
Unless they are having problems with USB audio, but this isn't a
regression, AFAICT it never worked very well.

Lee