[linux-audio-user] soundfile player question

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Fri Feb 4 11:10:56 EST 2005

Dear list,

I've got a question about using various soundfile players with Mozilla
Thunderbird. I've got a webpage on exhibit in a festival right now, with
a selection of MP3s to listen to. I thought it would be a simple thing,
but lusers always find ways of making simple things break ;-)

The problem is that, each time a user clicks on a link, it opens a new
instance of each soundplayer. Of course, most people don't bother to
close the other player, so pretty soon there are too many instances and
the sound just stops. I've tried XMMS and VLC in particular, and have
resorted to using MPG321 because it will wait for the first soundfile to
finish before playing the next one. But the users can't see the app
playing the sound, and more than that, they can't interrupt one sound
with another because there's no interface to stop playback.

So what I'd like to know is which app will support enqueuing files for
playback in a single instance? I've tried all the XMMS and Thunderbird
options available to me and can't come up with the answer. And I can't
stand around all day instructing people on how to keep the computer from
crashing ;-)

Suggestions welcome!

best wishes,
Derek