[linux-audio-user] head phones processor

davidrclark at earthlink.net davidrclark at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 6 20:18:42 EST 2005

Hi Arnold,

That is very close to Andrew's original question about "out of the
head" sound from CD's.

There are headphone amplifiers that *attempt* to produce binaural sound
from normal stereo recordings.  There may be software, but I haven't
seen any.  I ran some tests with my own software, but was very discouraged
with the resulting sound.  It's almost impossible to recreate a true
binaural image from two-channel stereo because a lot of signal is
duplicated in both channels.  Binaural listening requires a very clean
separation between the two channels and very precise phase differences.
It seems far better to do it right from the beginning.

I have the same thought as you: That *some* improvement might popularize
the method and turn the tide.  However, there are also a lot of people with a
vested interest in keeping things as they are.  As long as the general
populace is kept in the dark, nothing will change.

Dave.