[linux-audio-user] Sound servers conflict

Hillel hillel.t at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 15:42:29 EST 2005

I am posting this message a second time as I suspect I did something
wrong the first time. Excuse me if both messages arrive.

Hi all,

I am new to the list and new to Linux audio.

I wrote a simple QT program that uses sound, and it requires the NAS
sound server.

I installed NAS from Mandrake rpm's rebooted the box, and the program
works great.

The problem is that most of my other software, for example Amarok,
stopped producing sound.

Prior to installing NAS, I used KDE and there sound server aRts. When I
start Amarok I get a message from aRts, that it can't open device for
playback.

I thus have two questions:

1. Is there a way to resolve such a situation, in a way that allows two
programs that use different sound servers to play sounds at the same time?

2. A more basic question: Why do we have to use sound servers in Linux?
shouldn't it be the job of the operating system to allow sound
multiplexing through a set of standard API's? The situation is
especially bad, if there is no comfortable solution to the problem in my
first question.

Thanks,

Hillel.