[linux-audio-user] Re: OT: File formats

Kai Vehmanen kvehmanen at eca.cx
Wed Feb 9 15:23:41 EST 2005

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:

>> There is an upcoming version of libsndfile which will allow reading
>> and writing of FLAC at 8, 16 and 24 bits through the standard
> Hmm ... ecasound currently pipes to the flac commandline tools for
> reading/writing flac files. I gather from this thread that those tools
> don't handle 24 bits, yet (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Kai, or

The command-line line flac tool _does_ support 24bit sample format (since
at least 1.0.4 flac version). For example:

ecasound -f:32,2,44100 -i alsa,default -o foo.flac
ecasound -f:32,2,44100 -i foo.flac -o alsa,default

... should sound ok (tested with ecasound-2.3.5 and flac-1.1.0).

> Erik if you know, how involved is adding flac support via libsndfile
> to ecasound?

No extra steps needed, just install the new libsndfile and you are
ready to go (replace '-o foo.flac' with '-o sndfile,foo.flac').

--
 http://www.eca.cx
 Audio software for Linux!