[linux-audio-user] What are Master, PCM and AC97?

Hillel hillel.t at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 15:01:44 EST 2005

Hi all,

I have little idea about audio terms, and the following always intrigues me:

When I open KMix, the KDE Mixer, I can change the volume of both
"Master" and "PCM" which both change the music volume. I can also
control the volume of "AC97" but that has no effect while playing music.

Can someone please explain what are those settings and what are the
differences between them.

This is my sound card:

[xxx at localhost xxx]$ lspci  | grep -i audio
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB/DBL/DBM
(ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)

Regards,

Hillel.