[linux-audio-user] My First Linux Song

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Sun Feb 13 07:56:20 EST 2005

Last Sunday 13 February 2005 10:24, Shayne O'Connor was like:
> (i should say that, to me, this song has more than a bit of a tribute to
> the musical forms of Pavement ... and correct tuning in this context has
> no more relevance than good singing ... )

OK, there's no such things as 'correct' granted. However, in my musical
opinion, this song would sound better 'in tune'. Dodgy guitar sounds require
much greater production skills to sound right (c.f. World Domination
Enterprises 'Asbestos Lead Asbestos' or indeed their version of 'Funky
Town'). Recording the guitar through a miked up valve amp would help. 7th
chords on the guitar tend to produce uncomfortable and distracting harmonics
if they're not tuned right, you'll notice many guitarists use open power
chords for this reason. It's worth using the tried and tested classic pop
formula to start with and then deconstruct it for whatever artistic reasons
you have.

That said, you've already got further than I have. ;-)

cheers

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk