[linux-audio-user] 19" chassis?

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon Feb 14 10:12:34 EST 2005

Hi, Mario:

Mario Lang writes:
> Hi.
>
> Many external music devices come in the well-known 19" format.
> For instance, I've got a rather old Behringer 19" mixer (20 channel, 8xmono,
> 6xstereo), a Novation DrumStation (19"), and I am planning to
> get myself a Delta 1010.  Now, can anyone suggest
> a supplier for 19" chassis?  I've recently cut my hand
> at the sharp edge of my Novation, and I finally decided
> I have to put all this stuff into one neat thing.
>
> Web research doesnt really reveal anything useful, and so
> I figured I'd ask you guys, I am sure some of you
> actually have 19" chassis.  Any experience?  Where do I get
> such things?  A way to tilt the stuff
> by 45 degree would be very cool.

They're called racks, and the action of putting something in one is
called rack mounting. That will help on the Google search! <grin>

You'll find there's quite a variety. Some are very industrial, others
will also work admirably in the family room. Of the latter, I like

http://www.raxxess.com
http://www.kkaudio.com

I do have a word of caution, though. I've found there's a difference in
understanding about what a rack should be between computer people and
musicians. Both groups use 19 inch racks, but musicians racks are bolted
at the front only, so far as I've ever seen. And, the concept of sliding
rails seems alien to people selling racks to musicians, whereas it's
fairly common with servers.

I say this because I'm trying to get both in my little workspace. I have
a 4U dual Opteron server that sits in a Raxxess quietizer because I have
no rails. I'm concerned whether simply bolting it to the front is too
much load. Certainly, it wouldn't make it easy to pull for maintanance.

Just to complete the subject a little, there are portable 19 inch racks,
many of which are ATA rated, meaning you can slap a shipping sticker on
them and send them to some destination through a company like Federal
Express or TNT. Others are even made of wood and not intended for
shipping, but require some table to stand on.

Last point is getting at the wiring. If you can, I'd advise a concept
where you leave yourself enough room to get behind the racks to do
things like move cables. It's ideal if you don't always have to crawl to
get at the connections.

--

Janina Sajka				Phone: +1.202.494.7040