[linux-audio-user] tuning

Noah Roberts nroberts at reachone.com
Mon Feb 14 14:28:17 EST 2005

Brett W. McCoy said:
> Steve D wrote:
>
>> Guitar frets are positioned to produce an equal-tempered chromatic
>> scale, aren't they? (I play piano, not guitar.) So if one tunes a
>> guitar  using harmonics, couldn't one check the result by comparing
>> the same  note produced by fret?
>
> Yes, and in fact one should.  A guitar that does have the intonation set
>  properly can produce harmonics that are not in tune with fretted notes.

I have found that tuning to E works best.  Of course I also intonated my
guitar to the buzz fieten offsets.

So I tune the first string to whatever instrument I need to be in tune
with (my piano works good).  Then tune B to E at 5, G to E at 9, D to E at
14, A to E at 7, and E to E either at 0 or 12.  I think this results in
better tuning than the harmonic 5/7 that I used to use.