[linux-audio-user] Re: linux-audio-user Digest, Vol 17, Issue 56

Jack O'Quin joq at io.com
Mon Feb 14 23:33:06 EST 2005

Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc at doink.com> writes:

> On 15 February 2005 at 10:25, Timo <timo.sivula at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I did not know that was possible. Don't you have to be root to start
>> Jack in realtime with anything else but jackstart with a 2.4 kernel?
>
> Ya know, I probably get away with using jackd-realtime as non-root
> because I've added the realcap module to my kernel and start that
> module giving realtime permission to users belonging to the "audio"
> group.  Of course, I added myself to the "audio" group.  This works
> very nicely.  There's some stuff in the realtime FAQs about how to
> deal with the realcap module.  FWIW, I did all this on Mandrake 10.1
> starting with the 2.6.7 multimedia kernel source RPM from the
> contribs.

I think jackd-realtime must be some kind of mandrake script.  It does
not come with the JACK sources.

If you use the realtime LSM on 2.6, all you need is `jackd'.

  http://jackit.sourceforge.net/docs/faq.php#a53

(That FAQ needs updating.  The most recent realtime-lsm version no
longer supports the `allcaps=1' option.)
--
  joq