PortAudio, was Re: [linux-audio-user] What of "Wired" ??

Dave Phillips dlphilp at bright.net
Sun Feb 27 07:49:00 EST 2005

Russell Hanaghan wrote:

> ... use Jack for audio interface or add it to the list of already
> available options. I know it uses Port audio but I have not been able
> to figure out what the heck Portaudio is let alone how to get it working!

I've been testing Csound5 which supports PortAudio (among other audio
systems). IMO it's a great solution as a cross-platform audio system,
but it works best with a native backend (ALSA, ASIO). Audio latency in
Csound is negligible when I use PortAudio with its ALSA backend, not so
good when I use PortAudio's direct interface.

Csound5 has also recently integrated PortMIDI. Amazing work coming from
Istvan Varga on Csound5 these days. JACK support is here ! :)

Best,

dp