[linux-audio-user] Common linux audio layer

Christoph Eckert mchristoph.eckert at t-online.de
Fri Jan 7 08:26:49 EST 2005

> How could you imagine a "Multi user" audio layer integrated
> into the OS ? audio is not like any other server tasks, you
> usually have to access the hardware directly by plug in
> your mic, your midi gear etc... and you usually have to be
> near the computer in order to listen to the music you are
> playing... etc so what is really the need to give Linux an
> audio Multiuser OS ? Imagine 2 or more users using the same
> computer to make music, listen to their video etc and using
> the ability from Linux to mix all the stuff, it would be a
> genious inaudible "cacophony" at the sound card output :)

Hehe. I also had these thoughts, but I'd like to give two
examples:

* First one: Currently, the audio devices get ownership of the
first user logged in via PAM or a simillar mechanism.
Unfortunately, my girl friend wants to surf the internet. So
I open a second X session. Now she will not get sound because
the user of the first session uses the audio device.
Furthermore, I formyself use a second user to make the videos
(to have a clean desktop and to set everything to english).
So it can happen that I have three X sessions open, and I'd
really like to see that all three users can have sound.

* Second one: This case is somehow theoretic, but we have also
users on our machines which are not neccessaryly physical
users. In the future may be a shell script running as a
system user wants to inform me via audio that someone tries
to log in from an unknown host, maybe rendering a text
through embrola or playing a prepared audio file.

So, wouldn't something as a jackd running in root mode and
accepting audio from any user who is in the jack group be a
really desireable thing?

> Hope I'm wrong and I don't understand the mean of this
> thread :)

No, you did understand it and thanks for your thouhts :) .

 Best regards

    ce