[linux-audio-user] recommended music

Shayne O'Connor forums at machinehasnoagenda.com
Wed Jan 12 08:18:49 EST 2005

luis jure wrote:

>el Tue, 11 Jan 2005 07:45:36 -0500
>Dave Phillips <dlphilp at bright.net> escribió:
>

>>  I'm not much into pop stuff anymore, so my recommendations are a bit
>>different:
>>

>as i half expected, dave's recommendations superpose in about 85% with
>mine...
>

>>    just about anything by Miles Davis, Sonny Rollins, Jelly Roll
>>Morton, Duke Ellington, Charles Mingus, Thelonius Monk, Charlie Parker...
>>

>ditto. and i would add at least lester young, coleman hawkins, count basie
>and eric dolphy.
>

>>    Pony Blues, Down The Dirt Road, and High Water Everywhere, by
>>Charlie Patton
>>       (real blues)
>>

>ditto. and may i also suggest son house? imo the greatest, his dead letter
>blues is impressive.
>

>>    anything by Howlin' Wolf, Skip James, Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters,
>>JB Lenoir, Magic Sam...
>>       (more real blues)

did anyone catch the brilliant "goodbye babylon" box set issued by
"dust-to-digital"? six discs of sacred americana-style folk and gospel
from the likes of  blind lemon jefferson, the carter family, washington
phillips (who's "lift him up that's all" is like a seance of sound) -
the last disc is comprised of deep-fried southern sermons ... ahhhh.

shayne